I want to use this space to track progress on projects (not just show the final amazing awesome version) and show how much iteration is usually required to make costumes and props the exact way you want them.
These two masks were printed in ABS in 4 pieces each then glued together (i did not design the file, but more on that in the V2 mask post). Bondo was used to hide the seams to the best of my ability. Since I was still learning the best seam hiding techniques, the seam can still be slightly seen on the masks, which is why I made a V2 of them. Additionally, I slightly over-weathered them and they came out looking more dirty and brown than intended for a splicer. Though I liked the dirtiness personally, I know the next version would have to look a bit more like porcelain.
Also know that a prop or costume does not need to be perfect to wear to a convention! Even though I was not as happy with the masks as I could be I still wore it to NYCC in 2016 and still got a lot of compliments on it. So don’t aim for perfection right out of the gate. It’s an almost impossible goal and will make you get frustrated with making stuff (which is not the point of cosplay, the point is to have fun!).
In my next post about the masks I will give a step by step How-to guide on how to make them.